Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Teenage Drivers

Teenagers, Cars and Permits--OH MY!

Do you get nervous when you see a young driver beside you? Sometimes I do. Now that I have yet my 2nd child that is learning to drive I am slightly less apprehensive, but still do not "look forward" to sitting in the passenger seat while he's driving. :)

I don't know about you, but driving was what I looked forward to as a teenager! I got my permit the day I turned 15 and my license the day I turned 16! I couldn't wait. Now, for our boys, they had several steps they had to complete before they could get their permit and license. First, they had to have good grades (A's & B's only). Driving and learning to drive take time, so they can't take time away from studies if they aren't doing well in school. Second, they had to pass the online permit test twice. Well, it's really not that hard, but we didn't want to waste our time at the DMV (and if you've been there lately you know) for them to fail the test. Third, they must continue making good grades and following our rules and the rules of the road in order to continue driving. Fourth and finally, NO driving my Envoy!!!! Driving practice can only happen in the Impala, the old hunting Jimmy or Charley's bug--which isn't running yet.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. It must be treated with respect and they were told that any disobeying of the driving rules such as talking on the cell phone or carting friends without permission would result in automatic suspension of their privilege. Talk about being tough!

Well, Charley has done well so far...and talk about proud! I think he showed everyone at church and school his permit within the first 2 days after he got it. Well, I have to admit, I'm pretty proud too. It shows they are growing up, becoming young men and learning how to work for something they want.

I pray that God will continue to show us how to mold these young men into adulthood and teach them what it means to be a man of God. It isn't always an easy or fun journey, but it is an adventure! I will take it for as long as it is given to me.




Here's a picture of Charley with his permit and also driving. Beware of the white Impala coming to a road near you! :)




No comments: