Friday, May 01, 2009

Winning isn't everything, but it's fun!

We teach our children that winning isn't the most important thing in any facet of life. We want them to succeed (or to win), but sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. Sports are hard because the focus is on winning--and secretly, you want to win too. Don't lie! It's true. We all have a very selfish nature to want to win.

We've been on those ball teams that we lost almost every game in a season. Seriously, one year we only won 1 game!!!! How sad. Well, this year has not started out great. It's been a far cry from last year where we only lost 1 game and we won the City Championship. That said...we have some talented players on our team, they just don't know it yet. They've got to learn to work together and build each other up.

They're getting lots better. Last night was proof of that. We had a tight game which we won 8-6. I love a game that just goes back and forth--except that part deep down inside me that wants to win. ;) That's part of the reason I take pictures because it's easier to keep my mouth closed if my camera is in front of it!!! Our boys did great and kept working hard to win the ballgame. We had two very closely matched teams playing and it was a great game to watch.

To see my son doing an awesome job his first year in this league and see how much better he is as a ballplayer is great! Is he the "best"? No, not compared to the entire league. Does he have the heart and determination and use his skills as a ballplayer? Absolutely, so that makes him the best in my book! Last night--a double, 2 singles, 3 RBI's and scored all 3 times (thanks to someone else's bat!)

4 comments:

patty said...

how awesome, rebecca! i miss league ball! great, great photos... esp the one of him in catcher's gear... love it! and the comment about keeping your mouth shut w the camera in fromt... too funny! ;) congrats on the win. ron used to tell the boys, "winning isn't every, but someone's gotta do it!"

Rebecca said...

Yes, league ball is fun! I would play ball anytime and anywhere though. You know it's hard for me to keep my mouth shut! The 2nd game I was yelling to a kid to run and Brian said "Let the coach do that." Well, the coach wasn't talking, so the coach in me came out! ha ha! ;) I try to keep quiet though, really I try hard. That's a great quote from Ron...too true.

Lora said...

Your pictures are wonderful Rebecca. You've caught some great action shots. That new camera is being put to good use in several ways - you are funny!

LeeAnne said...

You are teaching your boys great lessons! I was LOL at you keeping the camera in front of your face in order to keep your mouth shut ... I will have to try that sometime! :)