Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Snap, Crackle, Pop

Okay, so I've been just a bit preoccupied to blog for a little while. Last Thursday, while Hunter was playing a great game (he was 3 for 3 with one being a double, had 4 RBI's and had scored all 3 times on base) he had a play at the plate that turned that great game into something else.

If you closely look at the pictures below you will see how it happened. I was taking pictures as usual--trying to keep my mouth closed, remember? :) So, I got it ALL on digital pictures.

A play was made at 2nd base and that boy got back safely. The 2nd baseman then threw the ball to Hunter at home plate because the boy on 3rd decided he might be able to make it home. You must understand--we were winning the game 20-2 at the time. Although the boy was running home and Hunter clearly had him out and he couldn't get out of the tag, he did probably what most boys who watch baseball on tv would do if they didn't know better.


Hunter's got the ball and is getting ready to make his play.


The ball has kind of bobbled, but he still has control, so he is actually transferring the ball to his open hand (left).


Hunter is blocking the plate (like he should since he has the ball) and is getting ready to apply the tag.
The tag is applied, but the boy doesn't slow down or stop--he keeps going. This is when the break occurs. It actually bent Hunter's wrist backwards. OUCH!

Hunter is falling, but still hangs on to that ball.

Still got the ball, but now realizes something is terribly wrong.


At this point I don't know it's not good. I just know he's been knocked down.


Now I realize that something is wrong, and unfortunately I was right. Hunter's wrist is broken, but he has the great Dr. C taking care of him! Poor Ron has treated everyone in my family....I think we're on the "frequent flyer" list! Ha! :) Obviously this is the point where I stopped taking pictures!
As far as baseball, I think we're definitely done for the year. That is sad...Hunter was having a great year! His batting had come on as well as his catching ability. He has grown and learned over the last year. What we have to concentrate on is getting better, getting stronger and getting back to the game. He still goes to every game and hypes up the team from the dugout! He's very tough! Mom on the other hand just gets sad when she's watching the team play. I gotta get my game face on! :)
I'll update more as we find out more. We go back on Friday and the following Friday. Hopefully we get good news!

2 comments:

patty said...

oh rebecca! i can't believe i have to read your blog to find this out!! i live with the man! it's that whole patient confidentiality thing! so sorry and so sorry this is comming so late. may has my so busy, i've had little time to blog, too, and therefore, about no time to visit others'. hope hunter is feeling better!! :)

Rebecca said...

Patty--No worries! I completely understand and you are such a busy lady. I think the entire year has FLOWN! It is almost June! As you can tell, there hasn't been a lot of time to blog. And to be truthful--even if Ron could tell you, he would get bored telling you how often a member of my family comes to see him!!!!! :) haha!

Hunter is great and he's such a trooper. We're very happy to have a cast on and we'll go back to see your sweet hubby in 2 more weeks.

I heard you had one that has a cast now too....it sure makes for a harder summer, but thankfully they are kids and heal quickly!

Hope you have a great summer and can catch up and relax some!