Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Flu Bug!


Don't you hate bugs? I sure do! I really don't like any bugs, but the flu bug is my main nemesis right now.

Hunter came down with the flu after wrestling on Tuesday night--sorry to all the wrestler's moms. I had no idea!!! So after having a fever that night and a weird substance running out of his ears (GROSS!) I decided he needed to go to the doctor. After taking him, I realized the source of this weird ear thing was that his fever was so high it was melting his ear wax!!!! I had never heard of such a thing, but understand it happens. At 104.7 I would assume it would be pretty easy to melt wax.

The doctor almost tripped over himself to get out of the room and get liquid motrin and tylenol to hopefully bring down this fever. After Hunter had sucked them down (much to his dismay since he hates liquid medicine) I asked if he should probably take some insulin. Then they remembered that he was diabetic and we discussed how we would treat him at home for the next few days.

Well, after 2 swabs--1 of the throat and 1 up the nose, we got our diagnosis. The flu it was. So now, off to the pharmacy to get over the counter medication to try and keep the fever at bay, something to drink because he was so hot and thristy, and Lysol to try and keep the rest of us from getting this crazy bug, we went home. As I walked through the house fumigating everything that I thought he could have touched, I prayed that NONE of the rest of us would get sick. I am still praying that even today.

He's much better today---but still has lots of body aches. When I call he says he feels bad, but he is also bored. I think the worst part was him finding out that he would be missing the rest of the week of school. :)

Well, off to call and check on him again. Hopefully if you hate bugs like I do, you won't get this one!

No comments: